Keto Diet Supplements
Ketogenic (keto) diets severely restrict your intake of carbohydrates (sugars) thereby inducing a fat burning state known as ketosis in an effort to stimulate weight loss. Once you reach ketosis, your body produces ketones as an alternative metabolic fuel when there is not enough glucose (sugar) for energy.
There are three ketones that your liver produces when you follow a ketogenic diet and reach ketosis: acetoacetate, acetone, and beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB). The only ketone that can be simulated or created outside of your body is BHB which is referred to as exogenous ketone, literally meaning outside the body. BHB can be made in a laboratory and used in keto diet supplements.
There are a number of “keto” supplements that assist in making your ketogenic diet more effective. Those who use keto supplements do so because they believe they will:
- Help reach ketosis faster (or help remain in a state of ketosis).
- Increase metabolism and boost fat-burning.
- Regulate blood glucose and reduce carbohydrate absorption.
- Improve focus, clarity and cognitive performance.
Effective keto supplements contain a combination of BHB salts. Beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) mimics the natural ketones produced in your body and may help your body achieve ketosis faster so that you can start burning fat for energy more quickly. When shopping for keto supplements, ensure they do not contain dairy, gluten, grains or soy ingredients.
Exogenous ketones like BHB are bound (attached) to salts. Examples include:
- Magnesium beta hydroxybutyrate.
- Calcium beta hydroxybutyrate.
- Sodium beta hydroxybutyrate.
Adding keto supplements while following a keto diet will help you achieve ketosis faster and it will become easier to maintain your ketosis state over a longer period so that you can lose more weight. For some, using keto supplements while following a keto diet can help decrease the unpleasant side effects (and sugar withdrawal) that may occur as your body transitions to ketosis.
There are a few traditional or mainstream supplements that may assist in making your keto diet more effective, especially if you are training while dieting. Here are the main ones:
- Chromium – Increases insulin sensitivity and lowers insulin levels which allows for a faster and deeper ketosis.
- Magnesium – Magnesium supplementation can help reduce muscle cramps, improve sleep and reduce irritability brought on by transitioning to ketosis.
- HMB – Reduces the catabolic (muscle wasting) period before ketosis is reached.
- Tribulus – Increases testosterone production and release during your ketogenic diet.
- L-Carnitine – An essential supplement for keto diets as it is necessary for the formation of ketones in your liver.
- Glutamine – A Moderate amount of glutamine may be beneficial pre and post training.
- MCT Oil – MCT oil, coconut oil and flaxseed oil fit the profile of keto diets and promote weight loss and increase feelings of fullness.